Vigna caracalla (L.) Verdc.
- Common Name: Snail Vine
- Family: Fabaceae Juss.
- Country of Origin: central America to tropical South America
- Culture: http://www.logees.com/ftg/Vigna.pdf
- USDA Zone: 9-10
Additional images for this accession:Click on thumbnails to enlarge
Flowering Data:This accession has been observed in bloom on:
- Accession # 199500103
- Source: Unknown
- Provenance: Plant previously labelled Clitoria terneata, but determined to be an incorrect ID - not sure what it is at this point, but very interesting morphology with enclosed stamens emerging from tube when petals separated as might occur if a larger insect / small bird were to perch on petals.
Inspection of photos by Paul Franz at NC State suggest this is definitely not a Clitoria, but a member of the Phaseolus-Macroptilium complex. For the time being we will list it as Phaseolus sp.
05NOV04 - name changed to Vigna caracalla after seeing same plant labelled as such at Mt Holyoke Botanic Garden - cmorse
- Accession Date: 03-15-1995
- Bench: 1310 - NEO:Central America A
- Qty: 1 confirmed on 11-01-2013
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- SubClass: eurosid I
- Order: Fabales
- Family: Fabaceae
- SubFamily: Faboideae
- Tribe: Phaseoleae
- SubTribe: Phaseolinae
data regenerated on Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:51:50 -0500