Dorstenia gigas Schweinf.
- Common Name: Socotran Fig
- Family: Moraceae Link
- Country of Origin: Socotra
- Habitat: growing on cliffs
- Description: Dorstenia gigas is endemic to the island of Socotra in the Indian Ocean where it often grows on cliffs. It is the largest of the succulent Dorstenias growing to 1.2 meters or more tall with a base up to .5 meter.
- Culture: The plant is a pachycaul succulent - grow it in succulent mix. The plant likes to be kept warm in the winter. Water the plants all year, although much less in winter. The plant is more or less dormant in the winter, showing no growth.
Additional images for this accession:Click on thumbnails to enlarge
- Accession # 199600015
- Source: Tim Levine - CSU Chico
- Accession Date: 08-31-1996
- Bench: 6605 - BPB:6600:Bench 5
- Qty: 1 confirmed on 10-16-2012
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- SubClass: eurosid I
- Order: Rosales
- Family: Moraceae
- Personal communication with Tim Devine, CSU - Chico
data regenerated on Wed, 22 May 2013 14:21:13 -0400