Triphasia trifolia (Burm.f.)P.Wilson.
- Common Name: Limeberry
- Family: Rutaceae Juss.
- Country of Origin: Southeastern Asia, East Indian Archipelago
- Description: A glabrous shrub or small tree with terete twigs bearing paired spines in the axils of the leaves; leaves 3-foliolate, the terminal leaflet ovate with a cuneate base and a rounded emarginate tip, 2-4 X 1.5-2 cm; lateral leaflets much smaller than the terminal one (1-2-2 X 0.8-1.2 cm), broadly rounded at the tip, cuneate at the base; petiolules very short (1.5-2 cm); petioles short (3-5 mm), wingless; flowers appearing singly or 2 or 3 in the axils of the leaves; peduncles short (3-4 X 1 mm); flower buds cylindrical, 10-12 X 3-4 mm; flowers 3-merous (but with 6 stamens); sepals small (1.5-2 mm long), 3-lobed, green, persistent; petals white, 10-13 X 3.6-4.5 mm; staminal filaments slender, glabrous, 9-11 mm long, anthers oblong, 2 X 1 mm; disk annular or short-cylindric; ovary ovoid or fusiform with 3 locules, each with 1 ovule, narrowed into a slender, deciduous style with a capitate, 3-lobed stigma; fruit ovoid or subglobose, sometimes apiculate, 1.2-1.5 cm long, dull reddish-orange or crimson when fleshy ripe; peel with many small oil glands; seeds 1-3, immersed in mucilaginous pulpy flesh.1
- Uses: Plant produces a small 10-15mm berry like hesperidium that has an acidic, lime-flavored taste. Fruits are eaten directly, cooked to make a preserve or used in a beverage.
- USDA Zone: 9b-11
Additional images for this accession:Click on thumbnails to enlarge
- Accession # 200700167
- Source: Chad Husby FIU
- Accession Date: 09-18-2007
- Bench: 1207 - AUS:Indo-Burma A
- Qty: 1 confirmed on 06-13-2013
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- SubClass: eurosid II
- Order: Sapindales
- Family: Rutaceae
- SubFamily: Aurantioideae
- Tribe: Citreae
- SubTribe: Triphasiinae
- The Citrus Industry Vol. 1 (1967)
- A new bicoumarin from the leaves and stems of Triphasia trifolia. - Fitoterapia. 2006 Feb;77(2):129-33. Epub 2006 Jan 20.
data regenerated on Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:13:33 -0400