Dendrobium densiflorum Wall. ex Lindl.
- Common Name: Pineapple Orchid
- Family: Orchidaceae Juss.
- Country of Origin: Himalayas, Burma, Vietnam
- Description: This spectacular epiphytic orchid is native to the Himalayas, Burma, Vietnam and Thailand. It forms dense clumps of erect, 4-angled pseudobulbs up to 20 in (50 cm) long with 3 to 5 narrowly elliptic leaves near the top. Pendent racemes to 10 in (25 cm) long bear many yellow flowers with fringed golden orange centers in spring. It prefers partly shaded intermediate conditions with plenty of water in summer and a dry rest in winter.
- Culture: Daily water while growing, water when dry in winter.
- CITES Appendix II Listed Plant
Additional images for this accession:Click on thumbnails to enlarge
Flowering Data:This accession has been observed in bloom on:
- Accession # 199100344
- Source: Unknown
- Accession Date: 12-31-1991
- Bench: 3302 - Cool Orchids
- Qty: 2 confirmed on 06-11-2013
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Liliopsida
- SubClass: monocots
- Order: Asparagales
- Family: Orchidaceae
- SubFamily: Epidendroideae
- Tribe: Podochilaeae
- SubTribe: Dendrobiinae
Botanica, Turner & Wasson, 1997, CD-ROM Version
data regenerated on Tue, 11 Jun 2013 06:43:06 -0400